Thursday, July 18, 2013

Blogpost 5: Anime as an Escape Zone "Escapist at Heart"




" If you discovered  something that made you tighten inside, you had better try to learn more about it."


People often discriminate those who watch anime, creating stereotypes such as "having no life" and "being in denial", or simply escapism. I myself is a huge fan of anime and what I find amusing is the fact that people from all over the worlds watch anime, regardless of their culture. I have a huge interest in anime and it has always been a mystery to me why anime attracts people of all culture, age, gender, and how stereotype came into being.


There's a question coming up on my mind, that pursue me to make this blog. I attempt to search for articles related to anime and their psychological effects on human: I could barely find any. I believe that the media in general finds anime to be uninteresting and any articles would not appeal to the public.


On the contrary, a massive amount of online blogs have been devoted to anime and their authors consists of people with diverse intelligence and interest levels; this includes those who watches anime for fun all the way to people who analyze and criticize anime deep down into their roots, literary concepts, appeals, psychological effects on the audience, and comparison to other animes.

http://www.thatanimeblog.com/index.php/2010/06/why-do-we-watch-anime-were-all-cowards/

On this link above, it directs you to the blog whose author deliberately tries to explain his point of view on reasons why people are attracted to animes. Below are two portions of the blog post:


First portion of the blog post:

"Isn't the reason why we watch anime because we're all escapists at heart? Don't we sequester ourselves off from the real world and find solace in some form? Humanity has always wanted to escape, though the methods of doing so have even more sophisticated as time went on. In the past it was religion. then after the printing press it became books, then the radio, then the television, and now for us, anime."

Ohm before I state my opinion and understanding about the blog post above, I copied some on the blog post of an anonymous then make it the article that I'm going to give an opinion because of I can't searched for any articles about this topic anymore.

Okay, from the start, I can't really understand what does "Escapist at heart" means, but when I closely look at it for how many times, I've realized the meaning of it. Escapist at heart does mean, we watch anime to escape a problem, usually, anime becomes our past time or problem reliever. Because I myself does it, when there are times I have a problem, I probably lock myself in my room and go infront of my computer and watch anime.

Second portion of the blog post:

" But this obsession with the anime must certainly from a different angle that more escapism. There has to be a reason why we devote out time to watching anime, as opposed to shows like Lost or House. Why do we even go through the trouble of watching anime in the first place?"

In this blog post, I think anime helps us to sometimes escape to problems we have. We can make anime as an entertainment.

First of all, most animes have been claimed and proven to contain morals, behaviors, language and stories that contradict events in real life. According to 'common sense', one would say that this is meant to escape from reality into a world of fantasies where you put yourself into the position of one of the characters in order to satisfy your own ego. I believe this is true, but what I also believe is that this is not an act of escapism, contrary to popular beliefs. I believe this is a deliberate act of imagination with help of physical senses. People have fantasies; they have their own dreams and often times they found themselves making mental movies of perfect scenarios in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment